Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Begin Here

from the archive, for the New Year


BEGIN HERE

I wanted to find you a story of new
beginnings, so I began
where anyone would:
from the collective unconscious
of Google,
but don’t ya know if you type in
“new beginnings,” you get thousands of sites
that start from despair,
beginnings folded in with recovery,
unwed mothers,
all kinds of sisters and brothers
rising from the gutter,
like phoenix fires,
lovely, but,
I thought
save me jeezus,
we’ve been there.

So I wanted to begin again:
what if there is no down
to rise up from again?
So I think of creation made again
and here is re-creation,
Recreation,
god’s sport on the ballcourt,
We take a pause to play,
re-play our way of being ,
remember,
re- member
we are members:
not drops, but ocean,-
reclaim our place on the court of play,
this life,
not a recovery, but a celebration,

‘cause each animal makes play
in the same way,
be you weasel or wombat,
with the same look, an invitation, like a soft stroke
of a laughing brush, saying
remember?, this is what we’re here for.
Now, show me whatcha got, doll!
Try and bite me…!

Yesterday, a three year-old
Showed me his favorite shark,
an ornate wobegong...
the ornate wobegong,
a shark with daisies on its back,
no lie,
a shark,
with daisies on its back.

So let the soft animal
of your woebegong body
tumble against mine
and love what we love,
because every beginning ,
yes,
carries death
as its lovely cousin,
the rise and fall of each
breath, baby,
One big accordion
…so let’s get on with this polka.

~Eilish Nagle~

No comments:

Post a Comment